Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Yummy Cookies

In my ideal world I would like to be the wholesome kinda earth mother who makes and cooks all things wondeful for her growing brood. In my quest for wholesome nutritious treats I made Annabel Karmel's Oat Cookies and we all loved them so much I feel I need to share the recipe.

They took minutes to make and both Daddy and F thought they were YUM. I used sultanas instead of raisins (that is what we had in the cupboard) and plan to try chocolate chips, dried blueberries and whatever else I can get my hands on to experiment with in the very near future ...

Oat Cookies (taken from Annabel Karmel's 'Weaning')


Ingredients:
75g wholemeal flour
55g rolled oats
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
85g unsalted butter, softened
75g caster sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
55g raisins, chopped dried apricots or whatever else you fancy

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (160 fan), gas 4. Put all the ingredients, except the fruit, in to the food processor and whizz for 1-2 minutes until the mixture forms large clumps of dough. Add the dried fruit and pulse briefly.

2. Rolled heaped teaspoons of the dough in to 20 walnut-sized balls and arrange on two parchment lined baking sheets. Flatten to a 5mm thickness with the back of a wet spoon.

3. Bake in the oven for 12-15 mins (I cooked them for 12 minutes in my gas oven and they were perfect).

4. Leave to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

5. If you can resist eating them all before they cool then store in an airtight container.

Annabel Karmel states they are suitable from 10 months and provide carbohydrates, protein, B vitamins and iron.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment